Tuesday, January 12, 2016

hallowe'en party by agatha christie

Finally, finally, FINALLY my first post on a book I've read.

Two things. First, technically, this could count as book #1 (read it in a day - it certainly is short enough - even though I did not) or #12 (a book I've read before - because I have) but I'm not planning on counting it as either. Second, I like to read books in groups of two. I don't know why, it makes zero sense to me. Maybe because I like to keep reading about the same characters? Or same type of characters? Or same type of story? I have no clue. So, the next post will also be an Agatha Christie novel.

"Hallowe'en Party" was a Hercule Poirot/Ariadne Oliver mystery where Mrs. Oliver goes to visit a friend of hers, attends the setting up of a local Halloween party for children, and hears from a young girl there named Joyce that she once saw a murder committed. No one believes Joyce - she is known for lying and everyone thinks and/or assumes she is showing off for Mrs. Oliver - and later on poor Joyce is murdered giving credence to her claims to have once witnessed a murder. Another body follows as Poirot tries to find this supposed murder that happened years ago while preventing any more murders from happening.

I remember really enjoying this novel years ago when I first read it. I was inspired to pick it up again after seeing the David Suchet movie on netflix. The movie was a bit different from the novel in the end (they always are, right?) but it did do the novel justice. This time around I didn't enjoy the novel as much. Not sure why. I think maybe because it dragged on so with Poirot running from dead end to dead end. Still, it was a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment