Saturday, January 9, 2016

12 books for 2016

It's a few days later than I meant to, but here is the 2016 Reading Challenge!

There are 12 books, one for each month - though you can certainly read them all in one month if you wish. I'm a bit pressed for time. Most years I read a MINIMUM of 128 books ((2 books a week x 52 weeks) + (2 books a month x 12 months)). This last year I don't think I even read 12. Like I said, it was a crazy year. This year my personal goal is to read 64 books ((1 book a week x 52 weeks) + (1 book a month x 12 months)) and I'm hoping I will at least make that if not exceed that. So, because of my general lack of reading lately I'm only putting up a 12 book Reading Challenge. If I knock this one out by May/June maybe I'll put up a second one.

2016 Reading Challenge:
  • A book you can finish in a day - I mean, how satisfying is that?!? To knock out an entire novel in one day? To take a day off from the everyday demands of life? The dishes and laundry can wait an extra day. Take a day to read a book instead. Have kids and are using that as your excuse not to? Read the book out loud to them. Yes, it'll probably take you longer this way but I'll forgive you.
  • A book based on a movie you have already seen - a lot of Challenges will say to read a book that's going to become a movie, usually before going to see the movie. Why not do the opposite? Why not watch the movie then sit down and read the novelization of it? And I don't mean read the original book after seeing the movie, I mean read a novel based on a movie that is NOT based on a novel. Plenty of movies are so popular they release a novelization of it before, during, or after the movie is or was in theaters. So I don't mean watch "Lord of the Rings" and then sit down to read the novel that was published over 50 years ago, I mean watch "Star Wars" and then go out and buy the novelization and enjoy it.  
  • A fairy tale rewrite/a book based on a fairy tale - rewrites and modern spins on fairy tales are pretty awesome takes on the original story. Maybe the evil bad guy (or girl) is actually the hero? Maybe the prince who shows up to rescue the princess is actually the bad guy? Maybe two different fairy tales overlap somehow with the events of one causing the events of another? Maybe the story is about Snow White & Prince Charming's daughter (or son)? Or maybe there are just zombies written into the story. Whatever the logic is behind the rewrite they are usually pretty fun. So give one a go and see a different perspective on a story you know so well. 
  • The original fairy tale - after reading the rewrite (or, you know, before - I'm not picky) read the original (usually short) story. And I mean the ORIGINAL original. Not the Disney kid-friendly rewrite. Some fairy tales have more than one origin. Pick one or read them all. 
  • A book you started but never finished - you know what book I'm talking about. Maybe it was a recommendation from a good friend, maybe it was a birthday present, or maybe it was your 11th grade high school assignment (I'm looking at you "The Scarlet Letter"...). It's been sitting on your shelf FOREVER, staring at you, mocking you. And you look at it the wall behind it in return and bluster, "You won't defeat me, I WILL read you." Only you forgot to tack that "eventually" on the end. You know it, and worst of all the book knows it - your words are empty. You know what? Make 2016 the year you kick that book in the ass. Show it who's boss. Read it and toss it like it probably deserves. Oh yeah, "The Scarlet Letter," that's your fate this year. Straight into the trash... No, seriously, donate it to your library after you read it. 
  • A book someone gave to you (or recommended) - I have a few books that fit into this category. A friend of yours says, "Oh, this book was totally AWESOME and you MUST read it! It changed my entire life!!!" (or whatever). So you bought it... and then never opened it. Or your mom gave it to you for Christmas five years ago and it's still just sitting there because you feel too guilty to get rid of it. Just open it already.  
  • An Extended Universe novel - just what is an "Extended Universe" novel you ask? Do you have a favorite tv show? Or even movie series? Chances are, if it's big enough, novels are published to supplement the show/movie. I kid you not. The X-Files, Star Wars, Star Trek, Fringe, and Doctor Who ALL have an Extended Universe. Sometimes these novels are considered cannon, sometimes they are not. But either way they ARE fun. Sci-fi not your thing? (I just noticed all the shows I mentioned were sci-fi themed...) Google your favorite tv show or go to Amazon's bookstore and look to see if your show also does novels. If the franchise is big enough, chances are they do. For some other shows that I know do novels check out Murder, She Wrote, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Once Upon a Time, and Supernatural. Can't find a novel for your Extended Universe of choice? Go with a graphic novel, then.
  • That library book - you know what one I'm talking about. That book you keep taking out from the library because you really want to read it but you don't actually read it? For crying out loud just read it already. Other people want to read it too. If you don't have one of those then go to your local library and check a book out.
  • The first book in a series - go ahead and try to commit yourself to an entire series of books filled with characters you know you want to love and their exploits.  
  • A non-fiction book about your religion - I know, what left field did that come from? Everything on this list is pretty light - a novel you can read in a day, a fairy tale, an extended universe novel, a book based on a movie, etc - but you should do some serious reading too. This is your pick. It can be a book of poems, a historical study, a collection of essays, a critique, a book of meditations (make sure you do them), a book of prayers, a book about a saint or deity - heck, even a cookbook! I don't care, just read SOMETHING non-fiction that pertains to your religion. 
  • A book you normally would not read - we all have our preferred genres. I'll read anything, and by anything I mean ANYTHING. But even I have my preferences - fantasy, sci-fi, alternate Earths/timelines, mystery, horror, and religion (specifically my religion). You know what is not on my list? Aside from a lot of things, I mean. Thrillers. Self-help books. Romances. I normally don't read these books. This year, however, I'm going to give one lucky book a go.
  • A book you have already read before - feel guilty rereading books when you have so many new ones to consider? Chuck that guilt and go back to an old favorite or to a book you have long sense forgotten the plot of but know you once enjoyed.
Now, I know some of these categories might overlap. For example, for me, "The Poisonwood Bible" could fall into "A book started but never finished" or "A book someone recommended". After all, it was a book two different friends suggested I read and then I had only read 3 pages of it before my copy got rained on... If the book you are reading falls into two, then pick one category for the book you are reading and pick a different book for the next category. 

Good luck and happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment