Thursday, January 9, 2020

3 books & reading goals

I know, I know. You are looking at this reading goal and going "Wait... what?!? Only THREE books?!?"

Yes. Only three books.

We have decided to do something new this year and I hope it works out okay. We have decided to drop kids/middle school level books entirely and read The Hobbit followed by the Wheel of Time series. Total (including the prequel Wheel of Time book) that is 16 novels. 1 for The Hobbit, 14 for the Wheel of Time, and 1 for New Spring. It is going to take a LONG time to read these long books (with tiny print). In light of that I decided this goal should go from January 2020 to December 2025, encompassing Vampire Kitten's and Lone Wolf's middle school and high school years. Using this logic we should (hopefully) read 2.7 books a year to stay on track. After doing the math, for this year alone we only need to read 31 pages a week. While that doesn't sound like a lot I imagine it will be a bit of a struggle. We already have a hard time setting aside family reading time and now the level of book we will be reading is much harder. And we are getting a late start to this year thanks to our return flight snafu.

However, I am hopeful we finish before they graduate!

The whole point of starting these family reading sessions (other than passing on a love of reading, I hope/hoped) was to read advanced books. That is why we started with easy chapter books when they were so young. It seems silly to read them middle school level books when they can read those on their own. I briefly debated reading them some young adult books but the truth is they could probably tackle those on their own if they wanted to. Once you reach a middle school reading level most adult fiction isn't much harder - just longer. With that in mind it occurred to me they might never read The Hobbit on their own. Or they might not discover the Wheel of Time until far later in their life - if at all. I wanted to pass on the books that shaped my love of (adult) reading. So while we will skip The Shinning and It we can at least do my favorite fantasy novels.

With this in mind we are officially shelving all individual reading goals indefinitely. They might get pulled out again next year, at least for me, but I have no intention of pulling them back out any time soon for the family. Now, with that in mind, we will continue to track what we read but there will be no goals and no rewards. Our focus going forward is just to enjoy family time. So there will be monthly posts listing the books we have read. There might also be posts reflecting on the books we are reading together (like I do with some of the book series that I read).

This year's books will be The Hobbit, The Eye of the World, and The Great Hunt. Potential posts about them soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment